Buying a Slot Machine
Having a slot machine in your own home is a great way to play for free and is a great addition to any games room. Unfortunately for most of us it is illegal to own a slot machine due to the fact that the authorities want to avoid any chance of mini casinos popping up in the suburbs such as in the 2017 comedy movie The House.
Some US states do allow slot machine ownership but require that the game is at least 25 years old. In the past this only allowed spinning reel or antique slots but now it includes video slots released before 1997. Rules vary widely in other countries and we aim to list as many as possible.
Please note : The following information is not legal advice. Laws can and do change so check with your local gaming regulator for confirmation before purchasing a slot machine. We do not sell any gaming machines. Read our Disclaimer.
USA - State by State Guidelines
Last Updated : 19th of November, 2021
- All Slots Legal to Own
- Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia
- Machines 20 Years or Older
- Machines 25 Years or Older
- California, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Washington, Wyoming
- Machines 30 Years or Older
- Massachusetts, Missouri, New York
- Machines Made Before (Year)
- Colorado (1984), Georgia (1950), Idaho (1950), Kansas (1950), New Jersey (1941), Vermont (1954), Washington DC (1952)
- All Slots Prohibited
- Alabama, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, Tennessee, New Mexico, Wisconsin
Note : We are starting to see states increasing the age limit of slots from 25 to 30 years which is clearly intended to restrict games you can buy to spinning reel games. It looks likely that a number of other states will follow this trend.
Around the World
If you live outside of the United States the rules for buying a slot machine for private use also vary widely by country and in some cases are quite ambiguous.
- Illegal to own a slot machine in all States and Territories
- United Kingdom
- Fruit machines legal to own (Permit Required)
Where to Find Slots for Sale
As we have never purchased a slot machine before for home use we cannot recommend any supplier in particular. In some areas casinos themselves sell machines they no longer need or you may find machines on sites like eBay or Craigslist. The following websites appear to sell a wide variety of games.
You could also try contacting the slot machine manufacturers directly to find out if they have preferred suppliers or can recommend a particular supplier in your area.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does a new slot machine cost?
- New games straight from the manufacturer tend to start at around $20,000 to $25,000 which makes them prohibitively expensive for most people.
- How much does a used video slot cost?
- Used prices vary widely but you're looking at around $1,500 to $5,000 depending on game age and popularity. Spinning reel slots are cheaper with prices starting at around the $750 mark. Game popularity and condition play a big part in used prices.
- How much does a Liberty Bell slot cost?
- Pristine examples of the first slot machine made by Charles Fey fetch big prices at auctions. You're looking at between $100,000 and $250,000. A recent confirmed Liberty Bell sale was in 2017 for $174,000 (Reference).
- How heavy are slot machines?
- This varies based on the machine type, screen type etc but in general you're looking at between 200 and 350 pounds (90kg to 150kg). Make sure that you have a sturdy place to place the machine and ensure there is no chance of it tipping over.
- Do casinos sell slot machines?
- In some jurisdictions they do but in most areas there are tight controls on what happens to old machines. Old machines are either scrapped and recycled or stripped for parts which can still be used.
Tips on Buying and Other Options
If you have the opportunity be sure to inspect the slot machine you are about to buy in person. All reputable vendors will let you come to the showroom or warehouse to see the game you are buying. If they say that this is not possible I would avoid them and find another company. There are also often good prices on recently superseded games.
You should make sure that you have access to a slot machine technician or maintenance company as errors can occur and are not always easy to fix. You should receive a set of keys with any slot machine purchase.
Another thing to consider is where you will be placing the machine in your home. Video slot and slot machines in general might be a bit bigger than you think. Be sure to get measurements before you buy and make sure it will fit where you want it.
There are also token based spinning reel based games that originate from Japan. These are known as Pachislo or Pachisuro machines and come in a wide variety of game types. Unfortunately they are only available in a used state which means it can be very hard to source a machine that is still in good shape.
Play Free Online
Almost all online casinos offer free play so you can have access to a huge library of slot machines at home. Visit our Online Slot Machines section for more details.
Important Note : Please be certain to check with your local authorities BEFORE purchasing any type of slots as to see if the laws have changed.
The information contained above is intended as a general review of the subjects and as guidance only. Detailed specialist advice should always be taken before taking or refraining from taking any action. The information above does not constitute legal or professional advice and should not be relied on or treated as a substitute for specific advice relevant to particular circumstances.